Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Let's Talk Politics

As the election gets closer, I thought it'd be the perfect time to discuss who has my vote.

Four years ago this was me on halloween.
You could say I was a bit obsessed.

Back then I was supporting Barack Obama mainly because he was a strong liberal and at 17 I was a strong minded liberal as well. I fondly remember reading every biography of Obama that was available and fighting with anyone who would listen. My AP Gov teacher, a card carrying republican, teased me on my reasons for supporting him everyday just to keep me on my toes. I was not able to vote in that election, but I sure tried my hardest to get everyone who could vote to vote for Obama.

Now, four years older, I still find myself a Barack Obama supporter. 

As a lesbian, gay and lesbian rights have always been a top issue for me. Barack Obama has always supported equality, but never gay marriage rights directly. I know, I know. Typical lesbian move to bring up Obama's recent declaration of support for gay rights, but it wouldn't feel right if I didn't. What can I say? It was reassuring to see and hear.

In case you didn't get to see it.


Not only did he declare his support for same-sex marriage, he celebrated June as LGBT Pride month.
June is now known as LGBT Pride month, thanks to Obama.

After all of this I truly believe that if he is re-elected he will make a bigger and more permanent change within the LGBT community. In my eyes it has been a long time coming and it is about time we have a president who is ready to give us equality for all. 

Another important thing he did before declaring support was speaking on the "It Gets Better" project. Let's be honest, there are lots of movements going on in America constantly and I find the fact that he took the time to read about this particular one and make a response incredibly heartwarming. I want someone who takes the time to see what everyday Americans are supporting and become involved as well.

Gay rights are not the only thing causing my support for Obama though. 

Health Care. I strongly believe in free health care and therefore I was very happy when Barack signed his Health Insurance Reform bill. I think it was a small step to a better future. I know full well that free healthcare means higher taxes, but I also think it is inhumane to let people die because they cannot afford the care they need. I know that if he is not put back in office all advancements toward free healthcare will come to a screeching halt.
Nifty Obama Organizing Health Care Logo


The last but not least deciding factor for me was his stance on education. As a college student attending a private school, it can get expensive. I know that like every other student, I don't want to take out a fortune in loans. Barack Obama expanded the maximum grant level and I, along with I'm sure many other students, were able to take out less money in student loans. I also know that because of this many students were able to go back to school or attend school in the first place. As we all know, we can't get anywhere today without a good education. 

One last thing, I would just like to remind everyone that we voted Bush into office twice and all he left us with was war and debt. We haven't even given Obama the same chance when all he has done is try to change things for the better. It may look and feel like nothing has changed but you have to take into account what he was left with and that wasn't much.




Blogging Scholarship
by YourLocalSecurity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment